Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Counter Culture

Culture for me is defined normally in each particular region of the world by shared patterns of living on a day to day basis. I believe many cultural attributes are based on socially constructed norms derived from historical ideas and attached values combined with a mix of contemporary ways of thinking. The communication era has definitely diluted culture for better of for worse and has left us as Canadians with a conglomerate of different ways to live.

Ultimately, my culture can be partially defined as 'counter culture', in the most innocent sense of course. =) I don't like to follow the crowds. I am individualistic. I look to nature, art and spirituality to guide my life and values. I have also realized there is a major divide between what Canadian society deems important and what I place value on. That epiphany has change my goals and in doing so has enriched my life, relationships and experiences (this being one of them). My culture can be described as contributing to society and taking the time to appreciate the people and animals in my life. I will always try and choose the morally responsible path.

I am constantly trying to break free from a culture that places importance on wealth over happiness, culture over nature, men over women, and work over play.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Break free baby, break free...the walls are an illusion anyway...p.s looove Sofia (even if she is a cat)

megan kinch said...

Culture defines nature. Without nature, how can we know what is part of nature or not? You can´t break free of culture, but you can change aspects of your personal culture that you find oppresive, and thereby change the general system. But you will always be part of culture, humans always are! Embrace it!

b r i said...

Culture and Nature have a dualist relationship... meaning one dominates the other. Culture dominates nature but it does not define it.

megan kinch said...

how can you tell what is nature and what isnt if culture doesnt define it for you? Is a milpa (traditional corn field) culture or nature? Is a managed forest culture or nature? Is a wild dog culture or nature? Is a mountain culture or nature? What if its a sacred mountain. What if it used to be a temple?