"I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?
I can open your eyes
Take you wonder by wonder
Over, sideways and under
On a magic carpet ride"
Sorry I had to find those lyrics. Wait a second! I'm in Turkey if anyone can get a magic carpet ride it's gonna be me! Sorry Jasmine, you're out. Just because you can belly dance doesn't mean you have anything on me. Have you seen my running man....oh baby.
Well if we were to compare cities in an Ikea setting, Toronto would be a nice office display with everything strategically placed and Istanbul would parallel the kid's ball room at high noon. Every kid for themselves… Sane, Insane.
This place is amazing and grows on me every day I am here. The cobble stone streets and copious cafes really make the city very charming. Don't get me wrong, its crowded, hot and city like but once you veer off the main strip you can find just about anything. Aladdin??? For example, just last weekend I discovered there was an amazing 3 level bar/disco directly across the 4 meter alley from my work. Hello party. Luckily my associate was kind enough to introduce me to 'Owl' last Saturday night. I think Danielle and I were walking home on Saturday when the sun was coming up... and the streets were still full. Now that’s a serious difference right there.
Most people in the area I live in are quite modern. The women are dressed to the nines and people are quite liberal. On occasion I'll catch one or two women fully clad in their burqua's but that’s the exception. We also get serenaded by the lovely daily Muslim prayers. I sometimes wonder what they're saying. The mosques are truly beautiful and the architecture makes you marvel.
Oh I've also noticed the amount of stray cats around the city. Nobody owns them but everyone leaves food randomly out for them. It leads me to believe there is a sense of community and caring one might not detect right away. It’s something deeper than we have at home. I think people here depend on other people where as at home it’s every (wo)man for themselves.
Well that’s it for now… it’s 7:45pm on a Friday. I’ve got a date with Aladdin in 15!

5 comments:
I need cobble stone and copious cafes.
lol! love your style girl!...good luck with Aladdin...I've heard his kinda wacko...he talks to carpets and all!
The Owl indeed. You hit the nail on the head with the sense of community, it is what I marvel at everyday...Ok Jasmine, I am off, when you find Aladdin get the deats on the carpet, the taxis are getting expensive and exhaust kills me...bahhh
cats everywhere does not surprise me!!! but people leaving food for them is sooo turkish/latin! I wonder why we human beings do not have the same sense of sensibility when speaking about our fellows citizens of the world!
Aldin may bring you to Capadoccia where I've heard is the "earthy moon"!!
good luck Bri.
everything does sound very sweet and charming! all you need to do now is meet a total stranger at one of the copious cafes and fall in love - talk about summer fling!
Post a Comment