Let's see...Well there are 2 thoughts that come to mind. I got my second huge culture shock when I was on the salad 'diet' here. Little did I know there were microscopic parasites fiestaing in my salad. I inadvertently moved their party into my stomach and baby we were a rockin! I was spooning the porcelain princess and they were doing the conga line down my large intestine. Luckily there was a Doc nearby. I got 5 needles in my arm for an IV but she just couldn't seem to find those veins (mental note, no heroin). Anyways I'm on some pain killers, anti-nausea pills and a party crasher for the P.sites. I now realize why the locals eat so much yogurt! From now on its yogurt once a day - minimum. Also apparently lettuce is the worst for bugs. Tomatoes are best when they are peeled.
The second type of culture shock (or maybe the first) was they way the men lovvvve to stair, harass, follow and make cat noises at women. Like Larissa said, it really started bothering me a few weeks ago. I sometimes find I cant look straight ahead if there are groups of men around. I keep me head lowered and my eyes down as not to attract more attention. I'm not scared but it bothers me. I feel like women who dont wear a head scarf in some ways get more discriminated against here and I know my colleagues have said the same. Women have a long upward battle here. Inshallah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh dear, I hope your belly is better. I love your mental note to self.
Sooo, this is interesting your observation about the hijab. To wear or not to wear, that is the question. Those who don't say those who do are oppressing women. Those who do say they feel more comfortable and safer in public. I think you are going to enjoy the next blogging assignment. Stay tuned!
Post a Comment